Powered By Blogger

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Blog Challenge #5

Part 1
This year was Duquesne University's 16th annual Undergraduate Research Program symposium. The program lasts for 10 weeks and gives the students essential research experience for a possible future career. At the end of the 10 weeks all of the students come together to present their research in poster format at the symposium. This was my second year that I presented my research here at Duquesne. I couldn't even begin to explain how nervous I was last year about having to talk to people about what I did for those 10 weeks. Although, it really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Then again, not many people came up to my poster last year. I think only my family and a few fellow SEED students came to view my poster. Though, I am not sure why considering they probably heard enough of my project from our group meetings! This year I was expecting the same thing to happen and only talk to a few friends and family members. However, many people came up to my poster and started asking questions about my project. There were even people standing at my poster before I got there! It actually surprised me to know that people were that interested in my project. I figured that mainly teachers would be interested in my work rather than students from Duquesne and Pitt. They all had great questions and it was an awesome feeling knowing that I had all of the answers to them. When I told a few people I was still in high school they were completely shocked. They thought it was so cool that I was able to be working at Duquesne over the summer. I also feel that this was a good practice for when I go to Indianapolis for the ACS meeting this year! For me the symposium went extremely well! My father and brother(a new grad student here at Duquesne) came to the lunch and then afterwards came to my poster so I could show them all of the work I had done over the summer. Sadly my mom wasn't able to make it but she heard all about it when we got home. I can't tell you how much I will miss working here during the summer. It was such an amazing experience and I feel like  have learned so much over the past two summers. If I ever get another opportunity like this I am definitely taking it!

Part 2
Possible candidates to be interviewed:
1. Joseph Janicki
2. Dr. Wheeler
3. Jackie

Possible interview questions:
1. What was your initial interest in science?
2. When you started college did you know that grad school was in your future?
3. Why did you choose to come to Duquesne University for grad school?
4. How are you enjoying your grad school experience thus far?
5. What are your future career goals?


No comments:

Post a Comment